Sunday, June 13, 2010

Downtown Field Trip


Our last field trip in Colloquium was to Downtown Fort Myers. Honestly I thought it was going to be pretty boring. I have been there several times in my life and didn't think the town itself had a very rich history beyond Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely proud of my city and think it's neat that I'm a second generation native. I just never knew there was more to it then palm trees, the Edison Home, and the reputation of behind the times when it came to desegregation. Also, my dad and mom shared with me stories from when they were growing up here. Many times my dad has pointed out the old movie theater, the old Sears building, and old Federal building. It's crazy to think when I was 8 I had a dance recital in that old theater, and today I currently have my art shown in the old Federal Building, which is now the Sydney Berne and Davis Art Center. I am part of my parents past in my present life. I went to high school and walked the same halls my dad did. Although I should say hall, because when he attended Fort Myers Senior High there was ONLY one hall.
I found it interesting to tour my instructors home built in 1922. Beautiful home that reflected his love of bugs well. :) Also, I loved seeing Fort Myers from the rooftop of the Indigo Room. Awesome view. Furthermore, the bus tour was also enlightening. I enjoyed hearing about Robb & Stuckey, and other historically local names/sites.
Overall, it was not a waist of time--far from it. The trip was very exciting and I most definitely made me feel more connected to my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment