Sunday, June 6, 2010

Canoe Outing


Last Thursday the class and I took a canoe trip on Fishtrap Bay. At first I was pretty bummed at the idea of canoeing however it ended up being a lot of fun. It wasn't anything I haven't seen or done, but to have the entire class as a group out canoeing was beyond entertaining. At first Lillie and I were doing a really good job of steering and keeping up with the rest yet as soon as the class stopped at the turn around point we hit the mangroves with everyone watching. Just our luck, the first time we did something stupid and it had to be in front of everyone in their stopped canoes. I could not stop laughing watching Lillie freak out as we plowed into the mangroves. Luckily, we were not alone...the entire trip was filled with run-ins and mangrove colliding.
Besides the slight sunburn and cramp in my shoulder, it was for the most part smooth sailing on a pretty crisp day. I guess it would have been nice 15 degrees cooler, however it wouldn't be May in Florida if that was the case. The path was a little challenging with all it's curves and half way through I had wished I never chose to sit in the back. Steering is not as easy as it looks! I can not say it wasn't worth it though, because we had a lot of good laughs, were out in the fresh air, and it definitely beats a lecture hall any day of the week.
When I first signed up for this class I was weary about it being off campus, however in the end it turned out to be a great experience. In just one month i feel pretty close to this small group of people as we have spent a portion of our summer days together. I cannot believe it is almost over, it really did go quick. Looking back on it now, I 'm pleased with the decision to take Colloquium over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment